The International Office is the central office and first contact point at DESY for foreign guests and their families. Our office is located in building 6 on the first floor, together with the housing and hostel offices.
The International Office issues invitation letters for the home institutes and the embassies, helps with private invitations and makes sure that every guest is adequately insured.
We assist you with the following issues:
- German Law regarding foreigners living and working in Germany, assistance with applications for residence permits, visa extensions, etc.
- assistance with DESY requirements and procedures
- medical and liability insurance for DESY guests
- invitations for DESY guests, and for families where applicable
- schools and daycare in Hamburg
- kindergarten at DESY
and we give you general information on:
- driving licence regulations for foreigners in Germany
- car registration for imported cars
- visa requirements for travel outside of Germany
- information on what's on about town and how to get there
- cultural events